This week has been challenging for me. Im feeling sidelined by a physical injury and as hard as it has to be in physical pain, I think its harder for me mentally. I love using physical activity as an outlet for stress and to keep me feeling “good”. As well, I want to lose a few pounds like a lot of us do so not working out can make that more challenging.
Like most people I know, I have fitness and wellness goals I am trying to achieve, but sometimes I lose sight of the bigger picture and start to micro focus on how much work it takes to get there. Couple that with those times when life creeps in and doesn’t necessarily derail those goals, but changes how we go about working towards them.
Let me give you a little bit of background. I used to be extraordinarily overweight and inactive. Seven years ago, after the birth of my daughter “A”, I made the decision to get healthy, and subsequently lose the weight. I had over 100lbs to lose but I was determined.
Two years, another baby, baby “M”, and 115lbs lost, I reached my goal weight and thought I was “cured”. Then life stepped in and said “hold up! not so fast”. I got a full time job, I was juggling all the household management pieces of life, and frankly, I got complacent and over confident that the weight wouldn’t creep back on. But here I am, about 30 lbs over my ideal weight and I am frustrated.
So, what should I do to get out of this rut and back into feeling fabulous about my body? Obviously, lose the weight right? Well that can be more challenging than just calories in and calories out. I feel like I can play that “game” and win temporarily, but that isn’t how I am going to GET healthy and STAY healthy. This week I am focusing my efforts on getting into the right place to do this mentally, I have dug through my barrage of inspirational Pins on Pinterest, texts and inspirational messages from friends, photos of myself at goal, photos of me before and my ‘research’ goes on and on. What did I find? I found A LOT of information and inspiration, so I compiled it into some BIG PICTURE thinking. Here are the Top 5 things I will use as my mantras on my journey to finding my “fit”.
My Top 5 Motivational Mantras
- Figure out the WHY? Having a healthy lifestyle isn’t just about how you will get to goal weight or how you will train for that marathon or cross fit competition, those goals are like the icing on the cake. The WHY you want to get healthy will help you DIG DEEP. It will help you stay focused when things get tough. The WHY will be the motivation you need when you want to just sit down and cry in the midst of the pile of clothing you wish fit better, or at all. The WHY will show you that YOU are worth it. The WHY will help you achieve and maintain a healthier lifestyle.
- Show Up for YOU. No matter who else you want to lose weight for, like wanting to play with your kids or grandkids, or hike with your spouse or whomever it may be that you want to be healthy for. At the end of the day YOU need to be the reason you are getting healthy. End. Of. Story. This is tough, but again is important to focus on how important YOU are in your own journey.
- Self Care is Necessary! Taking time and care for ones self is just as much a part of the journey as pounding the pavement, lifting weights and counting calories. Relieving stress, caring for our minds and bodies, and resting is as important as all of those other parts of getting healthy. Taking time for self care, IS NOT selfish. Self care is what I like to call the airplane rule. Put on your oxygen mask before you help others with theirs. It makes sense right? You are not able to be there for others if you aren’t recharged and in a good place, mind, body and soul. This doesn’t always mean 8 hours at a high end spa getting ALL the treatments (although it could be that) but it may mean taking a long bath in peace and quiet, taking a walk at the shore listening to the waves, hell it may even mean watching an episode of the Kardashians and having a glass of wine! What ever it is for you, remember to be mindful and take that time for yourself. I’ll say it again, YOU ARE WORTH IT!
- Surround yourself with LOVE. There will be HATERS. There will be people who don’t want to see you have success on your journey. Ignore that noise. Say it with me now, “This is MY journey. I AM WORTH IT“. Haters gonna hate, but you don’t need that sh!t. Surround yourself with the people who GET you and want the best for YOU.
- Ok this last one is a BIG ONE, it may be the most challenging thing you ever have to do for yourself. Take a deep breath and really hear this one and feel it from your toes to your nose…DO NOT COMPARE YOURSELF TO OTHERS.
Your life is YOUR life. And this is the thing, we want LIFE to keep happening right?! That’s the whole idea. Keep on living. Live your BEST life. The problem is that we often look at ourselves through a tainted lens. Wishing we had a flatter stomach, like that friend, more style like another friend, bigger breasts, smaller ass, taller, shorter, fast, smarter, more successful, more fun, more serious. The list could go on and on and on. The reality check of it all though is that YOU are FREAKING FABULOUS stop trying to be anyone else but YOU. The world needs YOU as YOU. We all have role to play and we are all perfectly imperfect. Own your curves, your scars, your ass and run with it. BE UNIQUE! BE YOU!
“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it’s better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring”. ~Marilyn Monroe~
I am certain by now you are thinking, “Way to preach at us! Who are you to talk?” The truth is I am preaching at MYSELF. I need to hear all of these things, DAILY. By putting all of this here for y’all to read, is like accountability for me to check in with myself and make sure I am living authentically and that my journey is for me. End of the day, FIT will happen if we are motivated and want it to, but LIFE WILL HAPPEN no matter what. So, let’s embrace “the good” and “the suck” on this journey to fit. Who’s with me?!
Perfectly Imperfect. Me.